Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Blog Entry #1

What is mathematics?



I think mathematics is the study of numbers and relationships between those numbers.



How do I learn mathematics best?



I think I learn mathematics best by examples. I usually need to be shown how to do a math problem before I can understand it. I also learn by repetition, though I probably don't do enough of that. I do not do as well when I have to try and learn math principles out of a book. I do really well when the math problems I am given build upon one another to teach greater principles.



How will my students learn mathematics best?


I think it is important to cover all the learning styles when you teach mathematics. Or at least all the ones that are possible or prudent to the lesson being taught. That way, every student will be able to learn the concepts and not just those students that happen to learn best by a particular style. I also feel it is important to understand how each student learns so that when they ask questions you will be able to tailor your response to that student and help him or her the most.



What are some current practises in school mathematics classrooms that promote students' learning of mathematics?


I feel one of the best current practises is being able to work in groups on math problems. This allows many students to ask questions of each other and learn at a faster rate. I also feel that math games help students learn, because it provides a fun atmosphere and students learn when they are having fun.

What are some current practises in school mathematics classrooms that are detrimental to students' learning mathematics?


I honestly don't know a lot of the current school practices. I do remember that I hated it when a teacher would put the students name on the board who got the highest grades on tests. I felt it led to unhealthy competition and isolationism.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that group work helps the students. It allows them to not feel as intimidated to ask questions, so they ask more questions and ultimately learn more. Additionally, it helps to have the prospective of a classmate because they are the same page as you. They do not have years of further math experience, so they can probably explain things in more simple terms and with a similar knowledge as their classmate.
    I am shocked that the teachers would put students names on the board with the highest grades, but I wonder if knowing the grade scale is helpful or detrimental to the student's learning? In a sense I think it is a good idea to every so often help students realize their potential by letting them know the highest grades and what they can achieve because their classmates have. Also, revealing the grades (without names) can help boast confidence in the students if multiple grades are worse than maybe the normal scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I personally prefer instruction that includes examples. I also really like it when ideas and procedures build on each other and I can see the relationships between them.

    I appreciate that you are thinking about addressing your students' individual needs by using a variety of methods. A lot of teachers also try to understand what their students know so that they can build on their students' existing knowledge and understanding. When you talked about covering all the learning styles, I wasn't sure what you had in mind. I would have appreciated a little more detail on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the need for examples. Personally, if there were no examples in class, I wouldn't go. I'd be able to learn just as well from the book; and the examples really help me grasp the concept at hand.
    However I think that working in groups is not always the best. I often find that groups are more of a nuisance than anything else, though they are helpful sometimes, other times I personally think they're the opposite of helpful.

    ReplyDelete